Tuesday 2 February 2021

Getting to know Dressage Rider Antoine Nowakowski

Getting to know you…

We asked dressage rider Antoine Nowakowski, French vice-national champion in the 7-year-old division, to share a favourite flatwork exercise. We also asked him ten burning questions, from how he stays focussed to his ideal dinner party guests.

 

A favourite flatwork exercise – a succession of quick exercises

When the horse doesn’t have the correct attitude and isn’t paying attention to you, many riders stay way too much on their focus. Try to think of it this way: my horse is focussing on something else. So the best way is to give him many pieces of information in the form of lots of different, quick exercises. I know that the result will not be immediate, but if I stay in this line for a bit, step by step, the horse will focus on me, and begin to work harmoniously with me. And that’s the ultimate goal.

 

Ten burning questions

 

1.Which is your most memorable horse and why?

Except my young mare Quatergirl, who was selected for the World Championship for Young Horses in Verden in 2020 that was sadly cancelled due to Covid-19, and is clearly the best horse I’ve ever ridden, I think the most memorable horse for me is Paco. He was my first dressage horse; I first bought him to do show jumping with, and we did a U-turn in a full dressage direction! I did lots of competitions with him, and from level 0, went through the young riders tests; we even finished 5th at the French championships for young riders! I had such a special relationship with Paco. He’s still here at my stables; he’s enjoying the field with his buddy!

Dressage rider, Antoine Nowakowski, dressage, quatergirl, horse, dressage horse, derriere equestrian


2.What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received or could give, and why?

First, it is important to know your objectives. Whether you are a leisure rider or a competition rider, objectives are always important as they give any rider a direction to follow. In order to reach these objectives, one has to stay focussed! It takes time and patience to achieve them. And remember that asking for help is positive. Riders should never be ashamed for asking help and advice from professionals.

 

3.Which person do you look up to today in equestrianism, and why?

Every rider who gets up early in the morning and works hard to achieve their goals!

 

4.What’s your ultimate riding or training goal?

To have my high-level competition horses enjoying a long and happy retirement at home!

 

5. What’s your biggest regret?

I really try to never think about regrets. I always keep going forward!

 

6.What would you’d tell your younger/teenage self?

Be more confident, and believe in your skills!

 

7.Which horse would you like to have ridden?

Without any doubt, it’d be Salinero, ridden by Anky van Grunsven. This combination famously won individual gold at the 2004 Olympics, and the pair really made me dream. This influence is probably why I’m a professional dressage rider now.

 

8. Who are your ideal dinner party guests?

I’d keep it within my discipline, and choose German dressage guru Isabell Werth; Spanish rider Juan Matute Guimon, who returned to competition after spending a month in a coma after a brain bleed – I’d just like to tell him that I truly admire his strength; and Danish dressage rider Cathrine Dufour.

 

9. What would you like to see implemented within dressage?

I’d like to see public access (or video access) to all the warm up arenas in the big shows.

 

10.  What will you be doing in 20 years’ time?

Hopefully the exact same thing that I am doing now, and still enjoying Derriere Equestrian’s wonderful garments!

dressage, dressage rider, Antoine Nowakowski, derriere equestrian

Follow Antoine Nowakowski on Facebook to keep up to date with his latest news

You can shop the Derriere Equestrian range online:

www.derriereequestrian.com  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment