Friday 1 July 2016

Derriere Equestrian Take Rachel Clarkson to Carl Hesters ~ Dressage Dreams

Dressage Dreams

On Tuesday 22nd of June, I sat at A at in an indoor arena in Gloucestershire watching Charlotte Dujardin riding young horses, trotting inches past my feet, whilst Carl Hester commentated and advised on their methods of training.  


I had been lucky enough to have won a trip to a demo courtesy of Claire Galer from Derriere Equestrian.  With thanks to Claire for the opportunity, and my supportive husband, Haydon, who took over childcare duties, they enabled me to “make it happen”.

Carl, Charlotte, Amy Woodhead and an American rider provided the 50 strong invited audience of dressage enthusiasts with a packed 2 and a half hour demo, taking us up through 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 year olds, from just backed and turned away to grand prix.  I drank in the beauty of these animals, and avidly watched the rider’s body, leg and arm positions to take to my own riding, whilst listening intently to Carl’s advice.  Carl and Charlotte’s dogs provided added entertainment and humour that only a pack of friendly dogs can provide.  

Alan Davies, Carl’s international groom, walked a black horse into the arena; the horse turned his head and I realised I was in the presence of the great Valegro with that beautiful concave head, white striped face and expressive eyes.


Later, Alan brought in Uthopia - a pleasure to see him still at Carl’s after the recent bankruptcy sale debacle. 

With the demo complete, Carl casually asked if anybody would be interested in a yard tour!  Errr, let me think...oh, go on then!  The chance to see Carl’s yard and meet his horses, seen many times on Horse and Country TV, was a real high point of the visit.




 I felt humbled to meet, stroke and have my hands nuzzled by Valegro; the horse that has achieved so much – European Champion, Olympic  Champion and World Champion to name but a few!   However, seeing him in his stable, his everyday environment, I was struck by the fact that he is a horse, just like any other horse. Indeed, stroking him made me think that I could be stroking my beloved Dudley, but his kind training, ability and prowess in the arena, the dressage stage, enable him to grow in stature that in turn grows his reputation.  He has become an icon and I was awestruck. 
I also met Nip Tuck, towering over us all in his 18 hands.  Being affectionate, he had a nibble at my sleeve.


These two horses have to go to Rio with Charlotte and Carl respectively on board.  I eagerly wait to hear who has been selected.   

Meeting Carl again, to whom I’d introduced myself to the previous week at Bolesworth, I was delighted that he remembered me and we talked about the mud, how friendly everyone there was, and what a great time we’d had.  Carl presented me with my fabulous goodies from the generous Derriere Equestrian and photos were taken.  Much has been said about Carl’s genuine personality and I can only agree.  He is a fabulous teacher, both of horses and people.



Many thanks to Claire Galer, Carl Hester, Charlotte Dujardin and all of Carl’s team – I had a wonderful time!  Dressage has taken me to places that I dream of.  Now I dream of more…
On my return home, I tried my new Derriere pants, and was so impressed by their comfort that I won’t be riding without them ever again! 

Rachel Clarkson   27.06.16

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous post, Rachel, I am so glad you enjoyed the welcome break from children and work! See you at the school gate 😉

    ReplyDelete